The Newton Fund aims to promote the economic development and social welfare of either the partner countries or, through working with the partner country, to address the well being of communities. It will do so through strengthening partner country science and innovation capacity and unlocking further funding to support this work. It is part of the UK’s official development assistance (ODA).
The Fund was launched in 2014 and originally consisted of £75 million each year for 5 years. In the 2015 UK Spending Review it was agreed to extend and expand the Fund. The Newton Fund was extended from 2019 to 2021 and expanded by doubling the £75 million investment to £150 million by 2021, leading to a £735 million UK investment to 2021, with partner countries providing matched resources within the Fund.
- People: increasing capacity for science and innovation in partner countries.
- Research: research collaborations on development topics.
- Translation: creating collaborative solutions to development challenges and strengthening innovation systems.
British Council Thailand is one of the delivery partners of Newton Fund. Our partners in Thailand include The Institute for the Promotion of Teaching Science and Technology (IPST), The National Science Technology and Innovation Policy Office (STI), The Office of the Higher Education Commission (OHEC), The Office of the Vocational Education Commission and The Thailand Research Fund (TRF).
Programme under the Newton Fund run by the British Council include:
|Institutional Links||OHEC, STI, and TRF|
|Professional Development and Engagement||TRF|
|STEM Education||IPST, OBEC, and OVES|
The focus of the research areas range from the following:
- Environmental and Biological sciences
- Technology Transfer
- Humanities and Social Science
- Physical Sciences and Engineering
- Agriculture and food security
- Health, and demographic change and migration
Current funding opportunities
All Newton Fund calls for 2018/19 delivered by British Council are now closed.
Newton Fund team at tel 02 657 5633 or email firstname.lastname@example.org