Birmingham City University
Region: Central England
Birmingham City University welcomes over 24,000 students from some 80 countries to study with us. We are situated in Birmingham, in the UK's second-largest city with a population of around one million people. In line with our transforming campus, we have also transformed our curriculum with almost 350 contemporary, flexible courses at undergraduate and postgraduate level, with practice-based learning and international opportunities built into every stage. Our 1,700-strong team of teaching staff come from industry, ensuring you benefit directly from their knowledge, insight and contacts. We work with companies like Microsoft, Cisco, Jaguar Land Rover, Sky UK and the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra. All students have the chance to gain industry and professional practice experience which helps you make connections & is a key reason why 97% of our students are employed or in further study six months after graduating. At the heart of it all is our student support system. Our new, integrated student enquiry service, Ask, brings together our student support within a single enquiry service covering a wide range of topics. Help is provided face to face, on the telephone and online.
In summary, Birmingham City University is a large, diverse and increasingly popular place to study. We put students at the heart of everything we do, giving them the best opportunities for future success.
Facts about the university:
- 97% of our students were in employment or further study within six months of graduating (Destination of Leavers from HE survey 2016/17). This is the highest figure in Birmingham and 7th highest in the UK for multi-faculty universities (excluding specialist institutions with fewer than 1,000 students).
- Awarded silver status for our quality of teaching in the Government’s Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) 2017.
- We work on course-related projects with companies and organisations like Microsoft, Cisco, Jaguar Land Rover, Sky UK and the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra.
- We welcome over 24,500 students from some 80 countries to study with us.
- Our team of over 1,800 teaching staff come from and maintain their links with industry and the professions, ensuring you benefit directly from their knowledge, insight and contacts.
- We have undertaken a £260 million investment programme in our facilities, including a major expansion of our City Centre Campus.
- Birmingham School of Art is based in a Grade I listed building in Birmingham city centre, complete with light and airy studios, gallery and installation space, a fine art library and workshops for wood, metal, plaster, fibreglass, ceramics, digital media, print and photography.
- We have around 50 professional accreditations for our courses from organisations including the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants, British Psychological Society, Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists, Landscape Institute, Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, Royal Institute of British Architects, and Health and Care Professions Council.
We offer merit scholarship up to £3000 for certain courses, and £2000 based on students' overall GPA.