You can register for IELTS quickly and easily either online or in person at British Council centres or at authorised registration partners.
To register, simply follow the steps below:
1. Read the information for candidates
Download and read the Information for Candidates (PDF, 564 kb) which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results. Please note that IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
2. Decide which version of the test is right for you
There are two versions of the IELTS test:
IELTS Academic: this is recommended for candidates who plan to undertake academic study.
IELTS General Training: this is recommended for candidates to use at work, work-related training or for migration.
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you. It is strongly recommended that you also check with the organisations you wish to apply to before you book your test!
3. Check the IELTS test dates
There are a limited number of places for all our IELTS test sessions. IELTS test with the British Council are very popular, so we recommend that you register one month prior to make sure you get a place.. Check the IELTS test dates.
You can use our online registration system to find up-to-date information about test dates and availability or else contact our one of our centres to register in person. You can download a list of registration centres at the bottom of this page.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading and Writing tests will be completed on the same day. Your Speaking test may be offered on the same day, or up to a week before or after your main test day. When registering, you will receive notification if your Speaking test is on a different day to your main test day.
4. Register online
Register online by completing the following three steps. The fee for online registration is THB 6,000
- Complete your details and choose the test date
- Scan and upload the list of documents in step 5
- Pay online by credit card
5. Prepare and send or scan your documents
For online registration, please scan and upload the following documents:
i) Two passport photos that:
- are from the past six months
- have a plain background
- show the test taker with a neutral expression (not smiling) with mouth closed
- show the test taker without glasses (if you wear them)
(Please be aware that your picture may appear on your Test Result Form)
ii) A photocopy of your ID (passport or Thai ID card).
For in-person registration at the British Council and authorised registration partners, bring the above documents plus the following:
iii) Your completed IELTS registration form and declaration form (in person registration only)
6. Choose your payment options for in person registration
If registering in person, the test registration fee is THB 6,300. You can pay using the following methods:
- Cash (British Council and registered partners)
- Credit card (only accepted at the British Council)
- Debit card (only accepted at the British Council)
7. After you register
- Those registering online will receive an email containing access details to our free online preparation course - Road to IELTS
- Those registering in person will receive a confirmation receipt and Road to IELTS access details.
For more information about postponement, cancellation, amendment of test version and remarking, please visit our Terms and conditions page or email our Exams team.
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have. Please contact us three months in advance of your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
Learn more about what we can do to help you.